Popular Services

Please use this service to request, change, or off board a Camosun employee domain account for a new employee, gain access to shared mailboxes and share drives, and request a computer. All Staff and Faculty automatically receive a Camosun Email account and more....

This form is for Work Place Leaders to request, change, or remove access to Colleague, myCamosun, and related Web Reports.

Use this service to provide feedback on and get support for the Camosun College website.

If you cannot find a service within our Service Catalog you can request support from ITS here!

Request to have a new Camosun computer or device set up with the necessary software and settings configured.

Use this service to get support or report issues with Colleague or myCamosun.

Request support for software used within your department and on your workstations.

Report an issue with an Camosun provided device system, e.g., computers.

Request a shared drive or more space for your departmental or shared drive.

The Audiovisual Services loans out equipment on a short–term basis including digital cameras, camcorders, tripods, audio recording devices and more. If we dug around deep enough we could probably find you a filmstrip projector.

You’ll need a Camosun ID card to borrow equipment. Book your AV devices through the ITS Service Portal .

Change, Reset, and Unlock your Camosun Domain Account to login to our online services, e.g., Microsoft 365, VPN, labs, and D2L.

This is for Instructors who wish to add other faculty to their courses for the purpose of sharing content.

Request assistance to install Cisco AnyConnect VPN.

Use this form to request a change or enhancement to an existing Web Report, or request a new Web Report.

If you are not sure which category to use to report an issue? Get help here!

Cables, Docking Stations, Cords, Keyboards, Mice, Web Cameras, Microphone, Monitors

Camosun employees can use the following service link to sign in to their Camosun issued Zoom account.

The format of employee email addresses will be changing from example@camosun.bc.ca to example@camosun.ca. Use this service to report any issues experienced as a result of this change.

Carts with laptops delivered to the classroom for the duration of the class.
Not used for single device requests.

Report an issue with your Camosun email.

Request a new or make a change to an existing departmental or shared email address or calendar.

Use this service to report a technical issue with camosun.ca. For content updates, use the "Camosun.ca - Website Feedback and Support" link above.

Report an issue with the Papercut print management software used for student and affiliate printing.

Can't find the service you need? Just click here and we'll help!

Use this service to request a grade change that will be completed by Student Records.